2014-03-12 fixed para alignment (had been centered inadvertently)
All posts tagged climate change
Verbatim text of Part II, Chapter 5, “Climate Change”, from P.J. O’Rourke’s, “Don’t Vote, It Just Encourages the Bastards”.
There’s not a g-ddamn thing you can do about it. Maybe climate change is a threat, and maybe climate change has been tarted up by climatologists trolling for research grant cash. It doesn’t matter. There are 1.3 billion people in China, and they all want a Buick. Actually, if you go more than a mile or two outside China’s big cities, the wants are more basic. People want a hot plate and a piece of methane-emitting cow to cook on it. They want a carbon-belching moped, and some CO2-disgorging heat in their houses in the winter. And air-conditioning wouldn’t be considered an imposition, if you’ve ever been to China in the summer.
Now, I want you to dress yourself in sturdy clothing and arm yourself however you like—a stiff shot of gin would be my recommendation—and I want you to go tell 1.3 billion Chinese they can never have a Buick.
Then, assuming the Sierra Club helicopter has rescued you in time, I want you to go tell a billion people in India the same thing.
Posted in Political Pith
Posted by Outlier Babe on 2011/04/29
Testimonials"Divinely droll.""4 stars!" "Simply fascinating!" Yes, these ARE great reviews. But not for this blog.
Wee TurtlesUnder these me-nus...
Not very fa-ar down...
Just under these me-nus...
Wee tur-tles are found!
Disliked Dishes : (
Luck Magnet Series
Sex in History Series
Teaching Trials Series
- 1-Shocked By a Rock
- 2-Sex In the Classroom
- 3-Browbeating Innocent Ponies
- 4-My First Parent: Special Ed-Conomics
- 5-Rey Is Once Again Trying to Cut His–
- 6-Permission to Pee, Sir !
- 7-Books? We Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Books!
- 8-A Little Boy’s Too-Big Confession
- 9-The Boy Who Boomed and Spat
- He Who Will Teach
- The Trouble Table
- The Pink-Tinged Ghetto
- Poor Misunderstood Standardized Tests
- Why Do Teachers Think Testing Is Unfair?
- Who Will Guard the Guards?
Mommy Hyde Series
An Autocidal Life
- Part 1, In Which Babe Feels a Pea
- Part 2, In Which Babe Gets Some!
- Part 3:, In Which Babe Meets The Good, The Bad, and The Really, Really Ugly
- Part 4: In Which Babe Becomes…A Calendar?
- Part 5: In Which Babe Lives La Vida Telenovela
- Part 6: In Which Babe Becomes a Magnet!
- Part 7: In Which Babe Is Saved By A 15-Minute Miracle
- Part 8: In Which Babe Plus Babe Equals Trouble
- Part 9: In Which Babe’s Babe Borrows Blood Baddies
Don’t Know Much About:
- The Robber Baron Revival
- You Tricky One-Percenters, You!
- Rights You Think You Have
- P.J. O’Rourke Verbatim – Climate Change
- Shut Up, Sarah MacLachlin
- Why Blog About Billing?
- What Starts With “Peep”, And Ends With “Bang”?
- P.J. O’Rourke Lite – The Redistribution of Wealth
- P.J. O’Rourke Lite – The Free Market
- Mommy, What Are the Real Costs of Our Illegal Nanny?
Isms and Abuses
- Raped By My Boyfriend For Love
- How Hot Cereal Made Me a Feminist
- The Sexist Word Hit List–Women’s Version
- F*ck You, Women Readers!–Male Writers
- A Woman’s Truth At Every Age
- Kipling for Girls: The Other “If”
- Should Conservatives Be ‘Outed’ For Their Abortions?
- Science Sunday: Men Make Boobs Grow! and Other Amazing Science-y Maybe-Facts
- Online, We Loves Us Our Wimmins
- F*ck You, Women Readers—Android Market
- The Funny Picture That Isn’t
Where You Rinse Your Dishes
- Like Y’Know Tales: Medusa
- I Like Good Skunk and I Cannot Lie
- Forever NooB
- How I Found the Porcelain Thrones*, and They Redeemed Me*
- How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Sunshine
- Limericks by O. Babe
- Mimsy and Babs: The Case of the Cloche Contretemps
- Naughty Nancy: A Different Drew
- The Big Coffee O.
- The Summer of the Naked Bear
- The Unusual Birds
- Typical Florida Morning
- Boot Camp 2–There Was a Young Poolie
- Letter 1–Inquiring Moms Need to Know
- Letter 2–The Moon, The Stars, and Craigslist Crimes
- Letter 3–Vans w/Plumes, Ice Creams w/Perfumes
- Letter 4–Fluff and Nonsense
- Letter 5–God and B.F. Skinner
- Letter 6–So. CA Travelogue, w/Bears and One Bad Kitty
- Letter 7–Mom’s Movie Madness
- Boot Camp 1–Women in Science
- Deck the Walls With Ratty Holly
- What Not to Give Your Mother-in-Law for Christmas
- The Best Toy Ever–Troll-La-La-La-La!
- Quoth the Raven: Holy Sh#t!
- The Daring Pilot Monk, and Adventuresome Roo, Too
- Growing Up Catholic, With Trolls
- Precious, Precious…and Odd…Christmas Music
- Christmas: Snowcaves
- Christmastime Bus Ride in Ohio, Years Ago
Tagsage discrimination aspergers Aspie Awesome atheism atheists auditory hallucinations autocidal disease bigotry bittersweet book reviews bullying buying a ticket to your own funeral child abuse childhood stories Christmas climate change customer service dry humor e-books Ekhart Tolle emotional abuse fireflies and lightning bugs God grammar Hey There Stupid History HodgePodge humor illegal immigration informative love Luck Magnet lupus Math Minutiae memoir neonatal lupus OK Cupid online dating woes opinion P.J.O'Rourke Plenty of Fish poem Political Pith poor parenting prejudice puff pieces racism religion S.L.E. sarah vowell sarcasm Sex in History sex in the classroom sexism Sexism Still sibling rivalry snarky snobbery special ed spousal abuse standardized tests systemic lupus tannahill teachers' hands are tied teaching the economy the free market the last half Tons o' Tuna troll dolls unsupportive school administrators Wee Turtles whale oil who will guard the guards? women readers young love
DisclaimerMany of the posts herein consist of opinions. Others, memories. Memories are subjective, and, we now know from research, fallible. Statements made about others in the posts and replies to comments on this blog are based upon the memories and opinions of the blogger. Readers are left to draw their own conclusions about the the accuracy of these statements.
Copyright StatementAll my stuff is copyrighted;
It’s my right to make it so;
Read it, share it,
Makes me happy;
Make a profit by it? No.
This work by Outlier Babe is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at www.outlierbabe.wordpress.com.
Dear Followers Who Have Never Heard From Me:I do not do reciprocal Follows (I cannot keep up with reading posts on the few blogs I currently follow) and to my great and deserved shame, have even been remiss about visiting and thanking you, my more recently-added Followers :( or popping in for occasional visits among the rest of my wonderful readers. But I will be trying to catch up with everyone over the next couple of months. We'll see how well I manage and how long it takes!